Skip to main content

zDePaul University Professor Explains Why We Procrastinate


Joseph Ferrari, Professor of Psychology at DePaul University in Chicago, says his research has determined that procrastinating really has very little to do with laziness.  Ferrari theorizes that there are three types of procrastinators: Thrill-Seekers - who crave the rush of putting off tasks until the last minute and believe they work best under pressure; Avoiders - who procrastinate to avoid being judged for how they perform on a project; and Indecisives - who have difficulty making important or stressful decisions, often because they’re ruminating over several choices.

Perhaps, but I happen to be someone who is a totally “self-aware” procrastinator.  For example, let’s say I wake up one day and have 25 things that absolutely need to get done before the end of the day.  Now, I know I can’t possibly get them all done unless I completely organize, prioritize and strategize about how I’m gonna go about getting all these tasks accomplished.  The problem lies in the fact that - by the time I finally finish organizing, prioritizing and strategizing - it suddenly occurs to me that my deadline, is only 15 minutes away.


Now, one of the big issues with procrastination as I see it is that while most everyone will acknowledge that good, decent, hard work, is what really pays off in the “long run,” - the fact is, “procrastination and laziness” pay off almost “right away.”  That said, while I fully sympathize with most people who struggle with procrastination, I also have to admit I’m not really all that sympathetic with folks like lifeguards, ambulance drivers, or firefighters who procrastinate.  Anyway, I have a lot more to say on the issue, but I think it can wait until tomorrow. 


Johnny Robish Comedy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trump Lawyer Schoen Threatens America With Civil War

Trump Lawyer Schoen Threatens America With Civil War:  In a fiery speech, arguing that impeachment would disenfranchise Donald Trump’s supporters, defense lawyer David Schoen is being harshly criticized for his thinly veiled threat - warning that impeaching the former president could very well result in even more violence from Donald Trump’s easily enraged base. So, if I understand Schoen’s argument correctly, it sounds as if he’s implying that “if you bring Trump to trial, then that angry, violent mob who attacked the Capitol, wanting to hang Vice President Pence and kill various members of Congress, might get really, really mad again - and there will be reprisals.”   You know, we’re talking stuff like ”Nice country you have here - be a damn shame if something were to happen to it!”  In other words, Schoen’s trying to incite violence, in defense of a man who’s facing trial - over inciting violence.  They don’t teach you that in law school.   Now, is it jus...

Former Trump National Security Advisor Warns ‘Deep State’ Putting COVID Vaccine in Salad Dressing

Former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, who was fired and then prosecuted for lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russia before being ultimately pardoned by Trump, is now sliding further into the QAnon conspiracy world, telling the hosts of an online show dedicated to COVID and election fraud conspiracies - that he has heard the “Deep State” is attempting to “sneak coronavirus vaccine into salad dressing.” Now, I have no idea where Gen. Flynn got this information, but my guess is it was probably a text from Mike Lindell or Rudy Giuliani, alerting him to the “hidden dangers of salad dressing.”  Or, it could have been Nicki Minaj for all I know.  After all, she does have another cousin who has a friend in Timbuktu.  Word on the street has it the “Deep State” will initially start with “Ranch Dressing” to vaccinate the cowboys, then move on to “Russian Dressing,” to get the rest of Trump’s supporters. Anyway, I hate to rain on Gen. Flynn’s conspiracy the...

Trump Commutes Old Pal Roger Stone's Sentence

Trump Commutes Old Pal Roger Stone's Sentence:   After declaring Roger Stone a victim of the “Russia hoax” perpetuated by the Left and its allies in the media, President Trump has commuted the three-year prison criminal sentence for the Republican operative and dirty trickster, who was due to report to federal prison on Tuesday after being found guilty of obstruction, witness tampering and lying to Congress. Good grief, is it my imagination, or has Trump actually just pardoned the real-life version of the Monopoly guy?  I mean, Stone is a villain right out of Charles Dickens.  Why, this is an act so corrupt, it’s almost enough to make Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin blush. Now, I’m no legal expert, but it appears what the Trump Administration is basically arguing is that - someone shouldn’t be punished for committing a crime which “they really should’ve gotten away with.”  And while that may sound a bit odd to the rest of us, that kind of thinking makes go...